- Listed: May 23, 2018 8:22 am
- Expires: 14 days, 1 hour
Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods, is a nationally recognized food writer and fermentation guru. He will be traveling through Southeast Alaska (Sitka, Juneau, Haines, and Gustavus) to offer community education and workshops about the fermentation of vegetables.
Sandor’s trip to Southeast Alaska includes a fermentation workshop from 5:30-8 p.m. on Monday, July 9, at the Sitka Kitch community rental commercial kitchen (505 Sawmill Creek Road, inside First Presbyterian Church). This class costs $15 per student, and is sponsored by SEARHC, with hopes of making community food education accessible to all. There is no food/supply fee for this class.
Join this hands-on fermentation workshop with a true fermentation expert to learn how to ferment vegetables at home easily and safely to create a delicious, nutrient-packed superfood.
The workshop will include:
- a discussion of “what is fermentation?”
- why fermentation is practiced worldwide
- the many practical benefits of fermentation
- functional concepts about fermentation
- instruction on how to make sauerkraut with a variety of vegetables
- information about what to do with sauerkraut at home and how long to store it
- troubleshooting any problems with home fermentation
Students will leave with their own jar of kraut, plus a wealth of knowledge on safe home fermentation practices.
Note: Please bring a chef’s knife and vegetable grater if you have them. Some knives and graters will be provided if students don’t bring these supplies from home.
Class space is limited, so register early. The registration deadline is 11 p.m. on Saturday, July 7.
Register online at sitkakitch.eventsmart.com (click on the class title) and pre-pay using credit/debit cards or PayPal. To pre-pay by cash or check, contact Chandler, Claire, or Clarice at 747-7509 to arrange payment. For more information about the class, contact Holly at 966-8938 or email@example.com.
137 total views, 1 today
You must be logged in to inquire about this ad.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: September 2, 2010
Other items listed by admin
- Kayak for sale
- Fishing Vessel Drill Conductor Workshop in Sitka on 6/25
- Rockwell Lighthouse
- School Board seeks community input on meeting day
- Sitka Kitch to host Baking With Betsy class series in July