Utility Assistance from City
Help May be Available for 2024
CBS will accept applications for the Utility Cost Subsidization Program through October 31. Applicants meeting certain criteria may be eligible for a subsidization of their municipal utility costs. The subsidization period shall be for one year, beginning January 2024. An appointment with the Finance Department may be required.
Access an application and instructions online by going to cityofsitka.com.
Or pick up an application at the Utility Office on the 1st floor of City Hall. For more information, contact the Finance Department at (907) 747-1859.
To be eligible for the Utility Cost Subsidization Program applicants must be listed as an owner on the account for which they are applying.
Acceptable documents providing proof of eligibility include:
- Participation in SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Enrollment in Medicaid
- Participation in BIHA – Baranof Island Housing Authority assistance programs
- Participation in National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Completed applications may be submitted by any of these methods:
- By mail: A completed and signed application along with photocopies of documentation may be mailed to City and Borough of Sitka, Attn: Utility Cost Subsidization Program, 100 Lincoln St., Sitka AK 99835. Upon review applicant may be required to present original documents for verification of eligibility.
- By email: email@example.com
- In person: Completed forms with copies of documentation may be submitted at the Utility Office on the first floor of City Hall at 100 Lincoln Street. Please note that upon review, applicant may be required to show original documentation. If applicants wish to submit original documentation for verification of eligibility, an appointment should be scheduled with the Accounts Receivable Clerk (747‐1859)..
Applications shall be considered submitted on the day on which the complete application with all required information is physically received by the City and Borough of Sitka. Please Note: Applications must be RECEIVED by Tuesday Oct. 31 at 5pm. Applications received after 5pm on Oct. 31 (even if postmarked prior to the submission deadline) will be rejected. Application via email is encouraged. Completed applications and documentation can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon request, the Accounts Receivable Clerk will assist applicants in completing the application. Such assistance shall be offered during regular business hours and a pre-scheduled appointment is strongly recommended. Schedule an appointment by calling (907) 747-1859.